Sushi is a Japanese artform with a freshness and simplicity that only sushi can give. Sushi has a natural beauty all of its own. Sushi is so popular thanks to its delicious taste and proven health benefits. To make sushi yourself, simply buy the sushi starter kit and become part of the sushi generation! Don’t miss our hand rolled sushi recipe for rolling your own. Buy sushi in our online shop.
Sushi packages and hand rolled sushi recipes
There are several main types of sushi. Nigiri type has slices of raw or cooked fish sitting on top of an oblong piece of sushi rice. Norimaki, or sushi roll, where pieces of fish and vegetable are rolled with rice in nori. Chirashi-zushi has a variety of ingredients sitting on top of sushi rice. Mount Fuji sells many sushi packages and sushi recipes. Why not visit our restaurant in Birmingham and as our chef to prepare you some delicious sushi.
More on Japanese sushi…
Mount Fuji sushi starter packs are a great way to introduce you to this Japanese delicacy! Each pack comes complete with full instructions of how to prepare your sushi creations.
For this hand rolled sushi recipe, you will need:
- 700g of rice.
- Sushi Vinegar 120ml (code 5194).
- 4-5 dried Shiitake mushrooms (or any other type of mushroom).
- 2 tablespoon shoyu, plus extra for dipping (from 5196).
- 225g of fresh tuna
- 115g of smoked salmon.
- 8 raw king prawns.
- 1 avocado.
- 1/3 cucumber, shredded.
- 1 punnet of cress.
- 8 sheets of NORI (code 5361).
- 1 tablespoon of Mirin (code 5338).
Preparation of hand rolled sushi
- Make nice boiled rice with a rice cooker (see HOW TO COOK RICE) and sprinkle sushi vinegar on the rice. Then mix.
- While the rice is boiling in the rice cooker, soak the shiitake mushrooms in warm water for 30 minutes then drain.
- Reserve 70ml of soaking water.
- Trim the stems off and cut the caps into thin strips.
- Place in a pan with the sugar, Mirin, 2 tablespoons shoyu and the reserved soaking water, cooking for 10 minutes.
- Slice the tuna and smoked salmon into 5 x 1 cm thin pieces.
- Peel, de-vein and lightly boil the prawns.
- Drain and slice horizontally in half.
- Peel, stone and thinly slice the avocado.
How to serve hand rolled sushi.
- On a large serving plate, arrange all the prepared ingredients and place it in the center of the table.
- Lightly grill both side of NORI sheets over low heat and cut each one into 4 squares.
- On a large serving plate, place boiled vinegared rice.
- Take one sheet in your palm, put in a little boiled rice spreading it with a spatula or fork.
- Wrap any ingredients in it; dip in shoyu and enjoy!
Buy some sushi starter packs here.